Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Aid needed for victim's burial

*
PT received the following message from reader Maria Pellum concerning the needs of the family of Maria Flores, Plainfield's 9th homicide victim of 2006.

As this family faces both tragedy and financial need during this holiday time, my hope is that many will reach out and offer a helping hand. Here is Maria's letter --
First of all, let me apologize for taking the liberty of using this medium to come to you. Many of you know me because of my work in the Crescent Avenue neighborhood, many of you know me for my work with daylaborers, and then so many of you know me just because.

I read with horror the news on Monday of yet another crime in the City. This time a young girl, a teen, a Latina. As a mother, I could only think of what the mother was going through. I know had it happened to me I would be going crazy.

Monday morning as I was walking to the Post Office, a person who knew the victim's sister and knew me put us in touch. I learned that they came from Guerrero, Mexico. Guerrero is one of the most poverty stricken states in Mexico. Many people leave because of the poverty and now they are leaving because the Mexican government is incapable of controlling the drug cartels from taking these people's land.

The Flores family came just as many families do, looking for a better life. What they have found is a land that is strange to their customs and language, yet they have managed to live better than what they had in Mexico. As with every immigrant tale there's the pluses and the minuses. The minuses for Maria Flores came when she became hopeless knowing that her dreams would come to a halt when college would come. Giving up, she dropped out of school, joining her mother a factory job. Perhaps she was hanging out with the wrong crowd. Perhaps she didn't have enough information to make different choices. We will never know.

Today I'm appealing to your kindness as we are trying to help this family cope with the financial burden that was imposed on them when their youngest daughter was shot and killed in front of her own home while she was saying goodbye to her friends.

The Latin American Coalition is handling all the formalities that are needed for this young girl's body to be transported to her family's homeland. The father will be flying with her to make sure that the proper burial is given to his 16 year old daughter. He himself will be constructing the crypt in which to lay her body.

As part of the Latino community I feel obligated to assist this family in their present needs. As part of the community I regret that our young people feel so angry that life has no value to them. I have many times advocated for attention to simple matters that could make a difference, but it seems to me that today only actions could make a difference.

Please, if you find it in your heart to help this family, let me know, or direct your help to Flor Gonzalez from the Latin American Coalition. Her office is located on 410 Watchung Avenue, Plainfield, NJ 07060 and her phone number is (908) 753-7155.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Maria Pellum
Once again, to help the family, please contact --
Flor Gonzalez
Latin American Coalition
410 Watchung Avenue
Plainfield, NJ 07060
(908) 753-7155
NOTE: The viewing for Ms. Flores will be FRIDAY EVENING, 6 - 10 PM, at Brown's Funeral Home, 122 Plainfield Avenue.

-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPPINGS here. Not getting your own CLIPPINGS email daily? Click here to get started.

No comments: