Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bizz: There is life after death

.
There is life after death, and I'm living proof.

As you are aware, if you've been getting the daily 'Clippings,' my laptop crashed in early December. Of course, my 'life' was on it -- isn't everyone's? Bought a year ago, it had a couple of gigs of stuff that had not been backed up. Including my email address book, which led to some people not getting the dailies throughout December.

It's a scary thing going through the Yellow Pages looking for someone to fix this kind of problem. What if the diagnosis is the operating system cannot be recovered, meaning reformatting the hard drive and losing all the data? Scary thought.

Finally, I put myself into the hands of the wonderworkers at Dial Electronics in Scotch Plains. Paul and his assistant, Eric, have an excellent bedside manner, calming the patient and giving a reassuring prognosis.

Leaving the machine late Monday afternoon, along with a diagnostic fee, I received a call on Wednesday morning with news that the drive could be recovered. Upon approving the work, my machine would be ready mid-afternoon. Wow!

When I arrived, Paul booted her up to show things were working. Then, seeing my Desktop covered with icons for unfiled graphics and newspaper clippings, he opined I might want to file them so I could see my nice wallpaper -- a painting by American regionalist Thomas Hart Benton.

Paying for the work while thanking them both profusely, I told them I would write up the experience on my blog -- and hoped it might bring them some good luck.

So. . . First of all, back up regularly. It'ls like flossing. Just get in the habit and do it. On the off chance you won't listen to the voice of experience, save this posting and you can call Paul to bring you back from the dead.

-- Dan Damon

..........Dial Electronics
..........417 Park Avenue [across from the Municipal Building]
..........Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
..........(908) 322-0101
..........email: dial322@comcast.net

P.S. Paul uses Mozilla's Firefox browser, as do I. It's a religious thing.

Keywords: Business, technology, computers
.

No comments: