Friday, February 10, 2006

Dan heads for the exit

*
After eleven years working for the people of Plainfield, the last eight as the city's public information officer, I filed the paperwork for my retirement yesterday, effective June 1, 2006.

With accumulated vacation days and sick time which is allowed as a 'terminal leave,' my last work day will be Thursday, March 2.

When I came to City Hall, Plainfield had no organized way to present either the work of the various city departments or the vision of its elected leaders. I had no desk, no phone, no budget, not even a list of media contacts.

It seemed that the only 'products' Plainfield was known for were crime and incompetence. Residents,
not entirely without reason, were deeply suspicious that local government was inept and corrupt. Though previous mayors had strutted and posed, sticking shovels into ground with alacrity, the only economic development gains had been the opening of some new laundromats.

Hundreds of events and thousands of press releases later, I am hanging up my 'official' spurs. Plainfield is on the move. I will be happy now to chronicle the adventures of our fair city as a private citizen, and am looking forward to reconnecting to groups and activities from which I had withdrawn as the city's spokesperson to avoid any conflicts of interest. It's going to be fun. About time!

P.S. Over the years, many people have asked, "Just what does a public information officer do?" The answer: many things. Think a combination of Lily Tomlin's Ernestine the telephone operator, a "Jeopardy" contestant, a reference librarian, a small-town newspaper editor, and the miller's daughter who daily spun straw into gold. That would be a start. But I most often ask people to think of a window. When it's doing its job, you hardly notice it. What is does is let you see what's going on. When a window fails as a window -- when it's dirty or broken -- you really notice it. But then it's not doing what a window is supposed to be doing, is it?

P.P.S. Offices at City Hall are undergoing yet another reconfiguration, beginning today. I am supposed to land in the basement office adjoining the mail room, most recently occupied by Priscilla Castles and Ron West. I have no idea when my phone number will be switched to the new space, or Internet connectivity. If you need me, you can drop by or reach me for the duration on my city cell: (908) 963-5142 if my desk phone (226-4905) goes into the well of darkness.

-- Dan Damon

Keywords: The adventure continues!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, You've done a great job as a "window" presenting the best of Plainfield--and for those of us who love this City we know that despite all that you read there is greatness here around every corner. I'm delighted to know we can still count on you to continue your eyes on the street role as a private citizen. But do take time and "smell the roses."

Nellie

Anonymous said...

And I agree with Nellie! In one way its Plainfield's loss, but for the local groups and event planners its our gain! And we depend on your "Clips" to keep us informed, so I'm glad to hear they will continue...we DO appreciate all you have done and continue to do for this city. Well done, Dan! Love, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Dan, Thanks for everything...good luck in the future.
Vic

Anonymous said...

Dan, There are windows that allow you a clear view of the world outside and stained glass windows, whose vibrant colors radiate warmth and foster introspection. Kudos and thanks for personifying both types of windows!

All the best as you continue your adventures, Carol Dunham

Anonymous said...

Well Dan...I wish you all the best! It has been a pleasure knowing you and working with you. I pray you will have much success in your future endeavors.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Have you considered running for office??????????


-Margaret