Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Never give a sucker an even break

*
W.C. Fields, the card-sharp

Never give a sucker an even break. -- W. C. Fields

For the third time, the Administration brought a proposal to increase fees for Certificates of Compliance (needed when homeowners sell or landlords rent to new tenants) to the Council in the form of proposed ordinance MC-2006-38. The ordinance would raise the fee 350%, from $50 to $175.

And for the third time, as Bernice reports, the Council decided not to take it up. For now.

While fees are supposed to cover actual costs for a service, the state forbids municipalities to use fees as a way to raise general revenues.

This would imply the Realtors would have an interest in pressing the Administration closely about the basis for proposing a 350% increase, if it seems like the Council is likely to eventually agree to the Administration's proposal for fee changes.

Not to do so would be to play the sucker.

-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPPINGS here. Not getting your own CLIPPINGS email daily? Click here to get started.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also my understaning that this proposal includes a 10% of total new construction cost fee to the city in return for a permit, which in many cases could be as high as $20,000 - $30,000 depending on the house to be built. Maybe it's just me, but I think this ludicrous. I will admit I am unaware of what other municipalities charge, but I will say that if Plainfield wants to attract development, this is not the way to do it.

Anonymous said...

It is also my understaning that this proposal includes a 10% of total new construction cost fee to the city in return for a permit, which in many cases could be as high as $20,000 - $30,000 depending on the house to be built. Maybe it's just me, but I think this ludicrous. I will admit I am unaware of what other municipalities charge, but I will say that if Plainfield wants to attract development, this is not the way to do it.

Anonymous said...

I sent letter via E-mail to Councilmen Stroch and Burney. Storch responded in a day with his opinion regarding the matter. He is in favor of the fees provided the inspection office is reviewed to provide good service (efficient & effectively)and value. Also, to have the inspection process to be a simple safety inspection like most towns in NJ. Rashid Burney has yet to reply.